Saturday, August 23, 2008

Family Life in Talanga

Right now I´m in Tegucigalpa at my host grandmother´s home, and she has quite graciously let me use her computer. This is incredibly nice and it has reminded me that I have yet to speak of my family in Talanga thus far. So, for those of you who are interested, I currently live with 11 other people in one house. It´s really not as crowded as one might think, and I actually quite like all the company that I have. My host parent´s names are Miguel and Marlen, and I have 5 host sisters, one brother, one brother in-law, and a niece. Iliana (21 and married with a baby girl Victoria), Christopher (21, brother in-law), Ilza (19), Michelle (16), Susan (15), Dany (13), Lizbeth (6), Victoria (2). I also have a live-in maid named Marixzá. This may sound pretty fancy and that my family has a lot of money, though in reality having help around the house is very common in this culture. In all, my family is extremely helpful when I´m trying to speak Spanish and they treat me very well. I am truly treated like I am part of the family. We have definitely had our share of laughs when I have tried to say some tongue twisters and instead said a few crude and bad words on accident. Lizbeth is always helping me with my Spanish while I help her with a little English homework. Lizbeth is actually here with me write now and she wanted me to say this to you all: (I had to translate this to English, I haven´t quite got her English this good yet).

Lizbeth Sarai Elbir Martín says: To all of Sara´s friends, I hope you have a wonderful day with your family-and if you think you would like Talanga, come visit us! I hope you all are well!

About some projects I am currently doing. I am still working at the Buena Vista school is the mornings and I am not working at Project Manuelito in the afternoons. This program works with street children from around Honduras. Some of you might know that this is right down my alley! I am very excited to be able to work with these children. So far I have only been able to visit the project twice, but it was a great experience working on self-esteem art projects. Currently there are 18 children who live on a property outside of Talanga. Each child has their own section in the family garden, and the project raises their own pigs, cows, chickens, corn, and beans. They truly work together to provide themselves with the food they need. I asked them about their funding, and I was told that the government is supposed to provide funds, however they receive none. Therefore, they rely strictly on donated funds. In all, it is spectacular program--I hope with time they can accept more children.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Sara,
HOpe all is going well in your PC work. It sounds very exciting and right down your alley. Your host family sounds amazing. Please tell them thank you form your Aunt T.
Did you ever get the letter I sent after the trip from Oregon? If not let me know and I will work to send the pics again.

September is going to be very busy for us. 9/11 I will be in Chicago returning on 9/12 and then leaving for Hawaii within 12 hours on 9/13. we will be celebrating out 30th Anniversary the first week and then Uncle Phil will come home. The second week I will be there for a convention. When I return I will be home 48 hours and then go to Mexico City for a meeting with Grupo Bimbo. I will be the first speaker at their technical conference. Should be fun. Grupo Bimbo is the second largest baker in the world. Very exciting they call me to speak for them.

Sunday is Grandma's 88 Birthday so we will try to give you a call that day as a surprise for her. It is much easier than calling katie. She is 15 hours different from us. So she calls us when she gets up on Thursday morning which is Wednesday night here. She only has classes on M, T and W so she has an easy schedule but says the classes are hard.

I will write more later.
HUGS AND LOVE,
Aunt T

Mom said...

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. It's almost like living at home with a few more added. I received the rest of the payment on the car this past weekend. We met her in Lawrence on our way to Julesburg, CO to see Lonnie's folks. She gave us cash, that was a trip. Lonnie is taking it to the bank today and then I will get it into your account this weekend. Kendal was asking about you and I told her I let you know. Becky got a new truck, Deb is a attempting to adjust to her schedule and I haven't heard much from Shelley. Give her some time to get adjusted. Jeff so far is liking school. He went with us to CO. We miss you and take care of yourself.
Love you,
Mom